This keto cheesy salsa chicken skillet is an easy meal with a tasty mix of veggies, proteins and fats. It’s so easy to customize you can mix it up for two totally different dinners in the same week!
This dish—which originally started as a kind of we have all of this random stuff for dinner let’s throw it together and see what happens—has quickly become a family favorite.
That type of cooking kind of reminds me of my low carb taco cabbage skillet…another one of those recipes that kind of just happened, but also happened to be totally delicious!
This cheesy salsa chicken skillet is a great option for when you don’t have a lot of ingredients available, or if you just don’t have a lot of time to make something.
For another great keto skillet meal, check out this One Pan Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet from The Best Keto Recipes!
What ingredients do I need for this keto chicken skillet?
The only ingredients you need are:
Cauliflower Rice—I like getting the frozen steamer bags to make cooking it really easy.
Cooked Chicken—Easiest way to do it is to either use leftovers or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Salsa—Any type is fine, just check the carbs on the nutrition label. Sometimes salsas include extra ingredients that aren’t so easy to fit into a keto diet.
Shredded Cheese—Pre-shredded is easier, but shredding it fresh off the block is definitely tastier! Freshly shredded cheese also melts easier!
I told you this recipe was super easy! At this point, we pretty much just throw it all in a pan!
How Can I Customize It?
Like I said, this recipe is very easy to customize. I think that’s important to point out because
Excellent customizations for this meal include switching out the chicken for smoked sausage or ground beef, or even switching up the toppings. The possibilities are really endless, but it’s all delicious!
This low carb dish makes for an excellent macro-friendly meal. The chicken skillet makes 4 servings and for one of them you’re looking at:
Calories: 332.5 Calories
Total Carbs: 9.6 grams
Fiber: 4.3 grams
Net Carbs: 5.3 grams
Protein: 33.5 grams
Fat: 15.8 grams
And here’s a breakdown based on ingredients:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 oz packet taco seasoning
- 12 ounce steamer bag cauliflower rice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken thighs until fully cooked and juices run clear, about 12-15 minutes. Internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees.
- Add 2/3 cup water to the pan and sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken, stirring so all pieces are coated. Bring to a boil then reduce for 5-7 minutes, or until water is mostly evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- While chicken is cooking, steam cauliflower rice bag according to microwave instructions, usually around 4-5 minutes
- Once chicken is ready, add caulifower rice, salt, pepper and salsa to the pan. Stir until well combined, with heat still on low. Let cook down for 3-5 minutes to absorb flavors.
- Stir in shredded cheese until combined.
- Garnish with green onions if desired or with favorite toppings such as guacamole, sour cream or hot sauce. Serve warm.
Serving Size:1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332.5Total Fat: 15.8gCarbohydrates: 9.6gNet Carbohydrates: 5.3gFiber: 4.3gProtein: 33.5g